Products made from recycled plastic offer a number of performance benefits.
- Extremely durable – products have an expected lifespan of at least 60 years with little wear.
- Cost saving – significant savings in labour and materials due to reduced maintenance and replacement requirements.
- No painting or treatment is required.
- Rot and algae-proof – does nor require maintenance, painting or preservatives. The colour is consistent throughout the material.
- Vandal resistant – due to its surface texture, the product is very resistant to graffiti, which can be removed with household cleaners.
- Less flammable – most recycled plastic products are difficult to ignite and fire does not spread readily.
- Crack-proof and insect-resistant – recycled plastic products will not crack or dry out and are resistant to attack by insects.
- Non-slip – plastic is moulded to have a non-slip surface (See slip test).
- Splinter-free – plastic does not splinter.
Products made from recycled plastic offer a number of financial benefits.
Achieving value for money is a priority in any purchasing decision. Although some recycled products have greater up-front costs, their longevity and durability make them a more cost-effective option over the long term.
The graph demonstrates a cost comparison using average cost information from an actual walkway case study. The initial cost of recycled plastic is slightly higher than wood but the cost benefit of recycled plastic is clearly realized when the wooden walkway requires significant repairs or replacement.
Outdoor furniture and other products made in South Africa from 100% recycled plastic.